Thursday, April 1, 2010

What kind of person can screw up jello?

Tomorrow is K-man's birthday which I like to make a pretty big deal of even though he doesn't particularly want me to. So I decided to make him one of his favorite deserts, a berry tart.  Now I'll be the first to say I'm in general a pretty good cook.  I'll also be the first to say I'm a terrible pastry chef.  I'm just no good at it so I never do it.  Aside: The first birthday I spent with K-man I made him a cake from scratch straight from Martha.  It looked beautiful when I left my house, but by the time I got to his apartment, the icing had completely dissolved.  Dissolved?!  I still don't know what happened there.

Anyway, back to the current year.  To make my life easier,  I decided to use jello lemon pudding instead of lemon custard. Here is how my jello turned out:

Seriously, who can screw up jello pudding?  You let me down Cosby!

Because I didn't want to go back to the store, I decided to suck it up and make custard from scratch and it turned out great.  Two hours and like 10 dirtied pans later, here's the final product:
Next year, I'll buy a tart.  Now I know why they charge $16 for those suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment