Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thursday night ceviche.

I'm a huge fan of ceviche, especially on hot nights because it requires no heat to cook.  Many people don't know how easy it is to make.  This is a shrimp and scallop Mexican-style ceviche.  Here is my basic recipe for two people, keep in mind ceviche is great because you can really play jazz with it.  Really, you can use any firm white fish.


Ingredients: 
Juice from two limes.
Juice from one lemon.
1 lbs raw shrimp, chopped into bite-size pieces.
1 lbs scallops, chopped into bite-size pieces.
Half of a white onion, diced.
One jalapeno, sliced (add more/less depending on your heat preference).
One small tomato, diced.
Half of a cucumber, diced.
1/3 bunch cilantro, chopped.
Drizzle of olive oil.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Avocado for garnish.
Corn ships/tostadas for serving.

Directions:
Toss the scallops and shrimp with the lemon and lime juice to coat well.  Combine with the rest of the ingredients, cover container and put in the fridge for two hours. If you want to leave the shrimp and scallops whole, it will take longer to cook.  The ceviche is ready when the shrimp and scallops are opaque.  Garnish with avocado and serve on a tostada or with chips.

Note:  I stir it every half hour or so, but I think that's because I'm OCD.  I don't think it's necessary.

How easy is that?  It literally takes me 10 minutes to prepare.

I've made many variations of this: omitting the tomatoes and cucumbers, using strictly lemon juice, using cod, etc.--Like I said, you can play jazz!

This was more than enough for K-man and me.  We had it for lunch the next day.

Hope you all are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment